Current Watches and Warnings
Colorado, Central Yampa River Basin
Public Information Statement
Statement as of 6:00 AM MDT on October 21, 2014
... What does that warning mean...
When a warning is issued during the winter season... will you know
what it means... and will you know how to respond. During this
Colorado winter weather awareness week... please become familiar
with our list of potentially life-saving winter weather products.
This list also contains warning and advisory criteria for
Colorado west of the Continental Divide. Criteria east of The
Divide will be provided today in a separate issuance by the
Boulder forecast office.
A hazardous weather outlook is issued daily by each National
Weather Service office serving Colorado. The outlook provides
information on potentially hazardous weather out to 7 days into
the future. Also... the weather story... a graphic of expected
hazardous weather... is posted daily on National Weather Service
web sites serving Colorado.
... Watches and warnings...
A Winter Storm Watch is issued when hazardous winter storm
conditions are possible within the next 3 to 4 days... but the
timing... intensity... or occurrence may still be uncertain.
In contrast... winter weather warnings are issued when potentially
life-threatening winter weather events are likely to occur.
A Winter Storm Warning is issued for the occurrence of heavy snow
or any combination of heavy snow and other events. Other events
include such things as blowing snow or very cold wind chill
Warning criteria for heavy snow is defined by the following
In the mountains... 12 inches or more per storm event.
At lower elevations... 6 inches or more per storm event.
Or an early season or late season snowfall having a significant
impact but not meeting the above criteria
A Blizzard Warning is issued when the following conditions are
expected to occur for at least 3 hours:
Sustained winds of 35 mph or greater... and
considerable falling and/or drifting snow
with visibilities frequently less than 1/4 mile.
A High Wind Warning is issued for the following conditions:
Mountains... sustained winds 50 mph or more...
or gusts of at least 75 mph.
Lower elevations... sustained winds of 40 mph or more...
or gusts of at least 58 mph.
A wind chill warning will be issued for the following wind chill
Mountains... minus 35 degrees fahrenheit or colder
lower elevations... minus 25 degrees fahrenheit or colder
A dust Storm Warning will be issued for the following conditions:
Visibility reduced to 1/4 mile or less in blowing dust... and
sustained winds of 25 mph or greater for at least one hour.
Advisories for winter weather are issued for potentially hazardous
conditions which are considered more of a nuisance than a life-
threatening situation. However... if caution is not taken advisory
events could become life-threatening.
Winter weather awareness week in Colorado will continue through
Saturday. Additional public information statements will be issued
throughout the remainder of this week to help you know how to
respond when hazardous winter weather threatens.
- Arizona - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Arkansas - Flood Warning , Dense Fog Advisory
- California - High Surf Advisory , Beach Hazard Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Colorado - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Connecticut - Public Information Statement
- Idaho - Wind Advisory , Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Kentucky - Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts - Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Public Information Statement
- Missouri - Public Information Statement
- Montana - Winter Weather Advisory , Record Report
- Nebraska - Public Information Statement
- Nevada - Record Report
- New York - Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Public Information Statement
- North Dakota - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Oklahoma - Dense Fog Advisory
- Oregon - High Wind Warning , Special Statement , Record Report
- South Carolina - Public Information Statement
- South Dakota - Public Information Statement
- Tennessee - Public Information Statement
- Texas - Record Report
- Utah - Public Information Statement
- Vermont - Public Information Statement
- Virginia - Public Information Statement
- Washington - Areal Flood Watch , High Wind Warning , Wind Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Special Statement , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - Record Report